Hiking on the Parkway...

Hiking on the Parkway...

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dear Emma...

Dear Emma,

I want you to know the moment I found out I was pregnant, I knew you were a girl and I fell immediately in love with you.  There wasn't a doubt in my mind that you, dear child, were going to be the most special person I had ever met.  The night they placed you in my arms, I couldn't put you down nor could I stop staring at you in complete disbelief that I was chosen to be your mom.  I vowed then and there to become a better person so that you could see how beautiful life is.  Because of you, I became closer to God.  I looked at life in a new light, through your eyes.  Often, I would wonder what you would think of me if I decided to do something a certain way.  Would my decision make you proud to call me mom?  Instantly you brought a joy to my heart that I never knew existed.  Perhaps if one day you are a mom you will understand what I mean.  I saw a future of love.  You rescued me, Emma.

As I watched you grow I couldn't believe how amazing you were.  You are the miracle kid that every parent wants.  Your sweet nature, your kindness, your inner and outer beauty.  You choose to see only the good in people.  I hope that when you are an adult you can look back upon your childhood and smile.  I hope life doesn't break you and shatter your outlook.  And I hope you know how loved you are.  I also hope that you know that what happened to you wasn't your fault and that you did nothing wrong.  You know, as an adult when your own heart breaks it is painful, but as a mom when your heart breaks for your child it is a million times worse.

So the night that you whispered in my ear that your stepbrother had been touching you in uncomfortable places my whole world momentarily stopped.  A part of me died when that sweet little voice said those words.  It became my turn to rescue you.  Without a second thought I left my marriage for you Emma.  I walked away from a beautiful home, security and a husband.  Making you feel safe became my number one priority.  I hope someday you can comprehend the strength and courage it took for you to tell me.  You are a very brave girl, Emma Catherine.  I too have shown strength and courage through this but if the truth be told I get it from you.  Yup, you are why I have been able to handle this as I have.  How can I teach you not to be broken if I let it break me?  How can I teach you to hit fear head on if I cower away from it?  How can I teach you to be a decent person in spite of what life hands you and how people treat you if I show weakness?  I can't.  I can't do any of those things if I fall apart.  So I have no choice.  Within you I find my power to continue.  I also rely on my faith.  We are where we are for a reason and I'll be damned if all this was done in vain.  I will make good come from it for us and we will rise up!


You are a lovely person with a soul and spirit that I can only conclude is straight from God himself.  You have impressed every single person who has met you.  Your life can be even better for what we have gone through.

  As I watch you outside right now, playing with the neighborhood kids my heart smiles.  We are survivors, not victims darlin' and we are going to be better people for having gone through this.

In your backpack I found a piece of paper that said 'Please walk with some confidence like you can really handle it'.  When I asked you what that was from you told me you are writing a song and that was the start of it.  Keep writing doll, the world needs to hear what you have to say.

Peace and Love,
Mom

 



1 comment:

  1. Angela, that is beautiful, though what happened to Emma was tragic. I wish you would come and let us take care of our kidds so that nothing like that ever happens again, and we could build a beautiful family full of love. Gary

    ReplyDelete